- Noun - A record or table of the descent of a person, family, or group from an ancestor or ancestors; a family tree.
- Noun - Direct descent from an ancestor; lineage or pedigree.
- Noun - The study or investigation of ancestry and family histories.
We've found some links to genealogy websites that work well for those just starting out to research their ancestors.
- Genealogy Classes - from the basics to the advanced.
- Beginning Genealogist - Where Beginners Learn to Tell Their Stories.
- Family History for Beginners - Getting started in family history research.
Additional Information on Genealogy
These next two sites are meta-sites, with many links to good information for beginning genealogists:
- This one starts with a good article explaining how genealogy works with many links about researching a family history:
History at Home: A Guide to Genealogy
- This page has an introductory paragraph about genealogy, with a long list of links to follow:
Getting Started With Genealogy on the Web
There is no guarantee that the information available at any genealogy website is either accurate or complete, and genealogists should take care to verify any information obtained by consulting additional/multiple sources.
Before You Pay
Many of these sites supply free information, but not all of them do. Read the information carefully before deciding if you want to pay or not. Happy ancestor-hunting!