Interlibrary loan (ILL) is Billings Public Library borrowing a book, a microfilm or requesting a photocopy of a specific magazine article from another library for a valid Billings Public Library cardholder. Any charges for interlibrary loan service assessed by the lending library are the responsibility of the cardholder.
What you should know about Billings Public Library's interlibrary loan service:
- An individual cardholder may submit up to five interlibrary loan requests per month.
- Interlibrary loan materials are not eligible for renewal.
- The Library will try a maximum of three known library locations to fill a request.
- An interlibrary loan request will remain active a maximum of 60 days from the date of first transmission.
- A patron must request the item in consultation with a staff member. Requests can be placed in person, through the library’s website, or email. The patron will need to provide as much information as possible about the item and a staff member will verify that information in a centralized database that will also list which libraries have that item in their collection. The patron must provide a valid phone number and/or email address in order to be notified of the availability of the item.
- Interlibrary loan materials will be picked up from the second floor Help Desk and patrons will return their borrowed items to the librarian at the same desk.
- The library is generally unable to borrow:
- Items published in the current year.
- Audiovisual materials.
- Copies of bound periodicals (though photocopies may be requested).
- Items requiring insurance or fees from loaning library.
- If a loaning library does charge a fee and the patron agrees to the amount, the patron will be responsible for paying that fee. BPL will attempt to borrow from libraries that do not charge.
- The library will not process interlibrary loans for patrons with fees greater than $5.00 on their cards until the charges are cleared. Patrons are allowed to request five (5) interlibrary loan items per month. When an interlibrary loan item is processed at the library, the patron will be notified by telephone or email that it is ready to be picked up. The loan periods for interlibrary loan items are set by the loaning library and may vary depending on the loaning library. Interlibrary loans are not renewable.
- If a patron loses or damages an interlibrary loan item, they will be assessed the value of the item as set by the loaning library and an $8.00 processing fee.
Please read the Library's policy on ILL for additional information.
Libraries wishing to borrow Billings Public Library materials may read our Interlibrary Loan - Lending information