Proctoring General Procedures
Billings Public Library will proctor written, emailed, or online exams. The proctor will be the reference librarian on duty at time of exam and not necessarily the librarian with whom the examination may have been scheduled.
Fees are assessed to help cover the cost of coordination, supervision, any necessary photocopying, and record keeping. The exam will not be administered until the fee is paid by the person taking the exam. Fees will be assessed as follows:
- Billings Public Library cardholders with a current card and no fines or fees on account: $15 per exam session up to four consecutive hours.
- All others: $30 per exam session up to four consecutive hours.
- Any fines or fees owed to Billings Public Library must be paid.
The test will be taken at a library computer or at a table in the library. The librarian will not be able to observe the student at all times. Proctors will enforce any time limits or other rules set forth in exam materials but will not sit with student for the length of the exam. If this is not acceptable, the student and institution should make arrangements for other proctoring options.
Arrangements should be made with a library staff member well in advance. All test taking requirements and instructions must be received from the issuing educational institution before any tests are taken. With regard to the required proctor information for some tests, the reference librarian will provide the necessary library and proctor information excluding personal information such as social security number or driver’s license number.
Copies of completed exams are not retained. Examinations not completed by the student within 30 days of receipt by the library will not be retained unless the student has made prior arrangements.
The Library will try to accommodate requests, but staff schedules and technical challenges may interfere. If an exam date must be cancelled due to an unforeseen circumstance, we will do our best to contact you. The library reserves the right to suspend this service at any time.
A Library computer station is assigned for online examinations. This computer station is equipped with internet access and basic Microsoft Office programs.
The Library does not allow the installation of any special software that may be needed to complete the examination on a library computer, unless prior arrangements are made with the Library's systems administrator. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the library's computing resources are adequate for their test taking requirements. The Library cannot guarantee uninterrupted internet access.
It is the responsibility of the student to contact the Library and make an appointment to take the test. Appointments can be made in person, by phone, or by email.
The student must be on time for his/her appointment and is responsible for notifying the Library if he/she cannot make the appointment or is running late.
The student is responsible for ensuring that the exam and other required materials have arrived at the Library before coming to take the test. The proctor is not responsible for contacting the learning institution to get exam materials or proctor forms but will return proctor forms directly to the school.
The student must bring all supplies needed (e.g., scratch paper, calculator, pen, pencil) to complete the test. At the time of testing, the student must provide current photo I.D. that matches the name on the testing materials.
Scheduling a Proctoring Session
To schedule a proctoring session, please review our proctoring policy and have your school or institution complete the request form.
Sessions can be scheduled Monday through Friday, noon to 5pm.
Before Your Session
- Get a list of testing requirements from your testing institution; you are responsible for following them, and for following all instructions they give you.
- Contact the library 3 days before the session to make sure that we have received your exam.
- Bring photo identification to your proctoring session. The name on the photo ID must match the name on the exam documents.
- You are responsible for providing all necessary supplies (pens, paper, calculator, etc.). Bring these with you to your session.
- If you are taking an online test, arrive early to make sure that your exam will run on our computers.
You may bring a laptop to use for the test if your testing institution allows. We will provide free wireless access to the internet and an electrical outlet, but we cannot provide technical support for your equipment.
During and After Your Session
- A librarian will be scheduled to proctor all exams. However, the proctor who begins supervising the exam may be replaced by another proctor before your exam is over.
- Due to the nature of a library, we cannot guarantee a quiet place or continuous monitoring throughout the exam. You will be in sight of the proctor and the proctor will check on you periodically. Library service takes priority over proctoring.
- Proctors cannot interpret test instructions or assist in technical matters for an online test.
- Proctors will enforce any rules listed in exam materials (e.g. time limits, use of textbooks, etc.).
- After your session, contact your testing institution and make sure they have received your completed exam. Allow a few days for exams returned via postal mail.